Κυριακή 4 Μαρτίου 2018

Balancing (on stage, in life)


I have been working on the idea of detecting the parallel processes in therapy and my hobbies since summer 2017. My dear colleague and friend Francis Lemay was also interested in this idea and we have started exchanging our reflections.

Dancing tango has been a main field of my activities during the last moths. I caught myself feeling surprised by the amount of common traits I observe in my roles as an amateur dancer and as a therapist.

What is of value so far is the point of balancing. A choreography which flows beautifully is the result of rehearsals, persistence, stamina and communication.

As a dancer I have been in constant contact with myself, my body, the song and my teacher/partner.

Contacting with my inner self is like a cloud above my dancing figure. Self-critical thoughts, self-doubt and uncertainty form clouds above my head and sometimes distract me from performing. Fortunately, the clouds always come and go. There come sunny moments of expectations, willingness, hope and pleasure during the whole process.

Getting in touch with my body is a demanding project. A body may or may not execute specific movements. When fear and embarrassment land in front of me, the body becomes stiff and loses its flexibility or courage. The physical muscles are not enough to strengthen the fear of failure. However the good physical condition plays a positive role.

Communicating with the lyrics nurtures my soul and gives fuel to my body. The melodies have the power to awaken the muscles. The movements which stem from a musical fountain can produce a pleasant surprise to my eyes.

It takes two to tango. Both in dance and in therapy. This is the reason that the relationship is a sacred process. Two people have to "work" together in order to reach the day of the performance. Throughout this connection they have seen their similarities, they surpass the obstacles, they get synchronized, they build their trust, they strengthen their mission, they have fun, they feel liberated, they suppost each other and they find their balance.

Panos Xylas, my teacher, gives me permission to be off balance and directs me to refind it. As a dance partner he is next to me to inspire me and to set me outside my comfort zone. He functions as a mirror by reflecting on my personal limits and my charismatic points.

One month ago we balanced on stage. We keep balancing and thriving :)

In Functional Analytic Psychotherapy we encourage a person to generalize his/her positive behaviors, which show up in the session, into his/her relationships outside therapy. I am positive that my behaviors as a dancer will influence the roles I hold in other life domains..!
 


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: